In an effort to meet the ever changing needs of many Nantucket residents during this COVID-19 crisis, the Community Foundation has designated funds within the Nantucket Fund for Emergency Relief to allow qualified nonprofits to be reimbursed for the cost of meals purchased from local restaurants to be provided to their constituents, congregation, members etc.
The Food Initiative encourages nonprofits and restaurants to establish partnerships, where the nonprofit purchases pre-made meals from a restaurant and distributes them to their constituents. In turn, the Community Foundation will provide the nonprofit with a grant to reimburse them for the cost of the food. The Foundation is modeling this reimbursement initiative after the incredible partnership between Or The Whale and the Saltmarsh Center.
Since March the Food Initiative funded 7,000 meals.
The current Food Initiative Partners Include:
- A Safe Place – The Beet
- Artists Association – Faregrounds
- Far De Luz – The Trading Post
- Fairwinds – Faregrounds
- Housing Nantucket – Charlie Noble
- Health Imperatives – Nantucket Culinary Center
- Nantucket Boys and Girls Club -The Breeze at the Nantucket Hotel
- Nantucket Cottage Hospital – Annye’s Whole Foods
- Nantucket Food Fuel and Rental – Crosswinds
- Saltmarsh Center – or, The Whale / Sandbar
- St. Paul’s / Laundry Love – Nantucket Catering Company
- Unitarian Church – Kitty Murtagh’s
Nonprofits interested in establishing a partnership with a local restaurant must receive authorization from the Community Foundation. Please reach out to Jeanne Miller (email@example.com) or Carlisle Jensen (Cjensen@cfnan.org) to learn more about this opportunity.
Applying for a Nantucket Fund for Emergency Relief Food Reimbursement
Instructions for applying for the Nantucket Fund for Emergency Relief Food Initiative
Nonprofits MUST receive authorization from the Community Foundation prior to engaging in a partnership with a restaurant. Please reach out to Jeanne Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Carlisle Jensen (Cjensen@cfnan.org) to learn more about this opportunity.
- Organizations must be a nonprofit or religious organization, or a Town of Nantucket affiliate to apply. Informal groups may be sponsored by qualifying organizations.
- To qualify, a group must determine the number of meals needed and the restaurant to purchase them from (restaurants require a minimum of 2 days advance notice)
- The organization will either pick up the meals or have them delivered by the restaurant. The organization will distribute the meals either by curb-side pick up or delivery to recipient’s location
- The purpose of the meals is to create a sense of community by offering a meal together, even when we are a part and for organizations to support their constituents.
- These grants will be through a reimbursement model.
- After the food has been received, submit a copy of the paid receipt from the restaurant and the CFN Nantucket Fund for Emergency Relief Reimbursement Form to CFN to confirm the event occurred. A check will then be issued by CFN to the qualifying organization.
Copies of paid invoices and Food Initiative Reimbursement Form must be submitted to Diana Harrison: email@example.com.