Nantucket Cottage Hospital announced Friday that it has awarded $1.1 million in grant funding to 14 nonprofit agencies and organizations through its Community Health Initiative, which seeks to address the Island’s most pressing health issues through collaborative, innovative, and sustainable programs.
The Community Foundation is honored to partner with the Hospital and assist with this incredible community initiative. This year’s awards are the second in a series of grant cycles that will ultimately invest more than $4 million to improve the health and wellbeing of the island. The hospital sought proposals in four areas: behavioral health; women’s and children’s health; access to healthcare; and access to housing.
The Community Health Initiative grant funds are available through private donations to Nantucket Cottage Hospital’s capital campaign to build the Island’s new hospital. As a state-approved capital project, the hospital is required to invest 5 percent of the total project cost in improving community health outside the walls of the hospital.
- Artists Association of Nantucket ; Healing Through Creative Arts program
- Gosnold on Nantucket; Integrated behavioral health services
- National Alliance on Mental Illness; Second year of a comprehensive education and outreach campaign for on-island behavioral health resources
- Addiction Solutions: Support to become CARF accredited
- Fairwinds – Nantucket’s Counseling Center: Support for ongoing professional training and development
- Health Imperatives; Education and services to support the health and nutritional needs of island families
- Maria Mitchell Association; Development and construction of a new STEM playground
- Nantucket Community School; Expansion of “Welcome Baby/Welcome Family” program
- Sustainable Nantucket: Farm to School nutrition program
- Town of Nantucket Department of Human Services: Development and maintenance of a central resource directory for health and community services
- Town of Nantucket Fire Department: Paramedic training for seven firefighters and certification in Advanced Life Support
- Habitat for Humanity; Funding to develop four building lots and six homes
- Nantucket Affordable Housing Trust Fund; Closing Cost Assistance Program
- Housing Nantucket; Support for First Time Home Buyer Education classes