In an effort to meet the ever changing needs of many Nantucket residents during this COVID-19 crisis, the Community Foundation designated funds within the Nantucket Fund for Emergency Relief to allow qualified nonprofits to be reimbursed for the cost of meals purchased from local restaurants and provided to their constituents, congregation, members etc.
The Food Initiative encouraged nonprofits and restaurants to establish partnerships, where the nonprofit purchased pre-made meals from a restaurant and distributed them to their constituents. In turn, the Community Foundation provided the nonprofit with a grant to reimburse them for the cost of the food. Over $200,000 was awarded to local nonprofits who participated in this program.
From spring of 2020 through December 2021, the Food Initiative funded over 18,000 meals. We established the following partnerships:
- A Safe Place – The Beet
- The Landmark House – Faregrounds
- Fairwinds – Faregrounds
- Far De Luz – Trading Post
- Housing Nantucket – Charlie Noble
- Health Imperatives – Nantucket Culinary Center
- Nantucket Boys and Girls Club -The Breeze at the Nantucket Hotel, Fusaro’s, and Crosswinds.
- Saltmarsh Senior Center – Nantucket Catering Company
Many thanks to our local restaurants for providing delicious meals to so many in times of need, and to our nonprofits who are in our community doing critical work every day to benefit Nantucket.