Already have a Fund with CFN? LOG IN TO DONOR CENTRAL
Establish a Fund
It is easy to establish your own named charitable fund and it can be done in less than a day. Working with a member of our staff, and your financial advisor if you choose, you will take these simple steps:
- First, determine your charitable purpose or intent.
- Select the type of charitable fund that best supports your purpose. Our staff will outline your options and discuss advantages of each.
- Complete a simple governing document. Our staff will help you to complete this document and will work with you to make sure the document properly reflects your charitable intentions. During this discussion you will be asked to choose an Investment Option (PDF) for your new fund and to review our current Investment Fee Schedule (PDF).
- Select a name for your fund. You can use your name, that of a family member, the name of a favorite cause, or choose a name that allows you to remain anonymous.
- Depending on the type of fund you establish, you may designate current fund advisors such as yourself and spouse, and successor advisors such as your children. This information will be included in your governing document.
- Make an establishing gift. We can accept gifts of cash, securities, or other alternative assets.
- Receive a tax deduction at the time the fund is established and when additional contributions are made to the fund
- Procedures for The Establishment and Operation of Funds (PDF)
- ByLaws to include with Fund Set Up (PDF)
Benefits of Having a Fund
- You will make a lasting impact on the causes you care about for generations to come.
- Your fund will automatically fall under the Foundation’s 501(c)(3) tax exempt status, providing tax deductions for you and all donors to your fund.
- You are ensured maximum tax benefits for your charitable gifts at rates significantly higher than family foundations.
- You will receive personalized attention with services tailored to meet your individual charitable and financial goals.
- You are relieved from all administrative duties such as accounting, check writing and reporting.
- You will receive professional financial stewardship and investment management for your fund’s assets.
- Your giving will be private and anonymous if you wish.
- You will gain access to the Foundation’s wealth of knowledge about local issues and causes.
- You may recommend grants at your convenience through our online system, DonorCentral and have 24/7 on-line access to information about your fund’s balance, investment and grant making history through DonorCentral.