The Nantucket Cottage Hospital Community Health Initiative seeks to stimulate Nantucket entities to develop innovative, collaborative, measurable, replicable, evidence based and sustainable local programs that impact the most urgent needs of Nantucket populations and strengthen the local public health infrastructure.
2017 Nantucket Community Health Improvement Plan (Healthy Nantucket 2020)
The 2017 Nantucket Community Health Improvement Plan (Healthy Nantucket 2020) is the result of extensive collaboration among the Island’s health and human services agencies, nonprofit organizations, the Town of Nantucket’s Department of Health, as well as year-round and seasonal residents of the Island. From September 2016 through January 2017, these community stakeholders came together during a series of public forums and meetings to identify Nantucket’s most pressing health needs, prioritize the top issues for the Island, and develop goals and strategies to make meaningful change in these areas. During this collaborative and participatory process, dozens of community groups, organizations, and individuals contributed valuable insight and perspectives.
The resulting document, Healthy Nantucket 2020, reflects this comprehensive process and the wide range of community stakeholders who offered their expertise and knowledge.
Eligibility and Criteria for Applying for a Nantucket Cottage Hospital Community Health Initiative Grant
Community Health Initiative Grants are only available to organizations with 501(c)(3) tax status, municipalities, or religious organizations that deliver programs and services to Nantucket residents that meet the following additional eligibility guidelines*
- Provides services or benefits to the Nantucket Community
- Must be a non-profit organization or public entity (such as schools, town or county departments) providing services to Nantucket
- Must have staff resources to execute the plan
- The program must be sustainable within five years
Grants for the following programs will not be accepted:
- Medical treatments that fall within the customary scope of the hospital’s activities
- Capital and operating expenses for medical programs based at NCH or its affiliated health facilities
Expenditures must be for “new money” and are not meant to replace programs that applicants already provide.
* All applications must adhere to Factor 9 requirements as set forth by the Department of Public Health (PDF)
Community Health Initiative Grants should:
- Directly address priorities listed in the Community Health Improvement Plan
- Utilize local data
- Show ability to adhere to proposed timelines and reporting requirements
- Include reasonable and well-planned budget projections
- Demonstrate measurable goals and outcomes
- Does not replicate existing services and programs
Additional guidelines for applications:
- Please read the Nantucket Community Health Improvement Plan on the previous page
- Pick one of the four goals to ensure that your application supports one or more of the strategies that work toward a goal as identified by the community.
- For example: Priority Area 1: Behavioral Health
- Goal 1: Enhance overall wellness for the Nantucket community through the implementation of an effective and collaborative Behavioral Health System.
- By 2020, decrease the suicide attempts by 10% a year
- 1 Educate all employers e.g. small and large employers, Builder’s Association, Chamber of Commerce, on Nantucket and implement Employee Assistance Programs to recognize and refer high risk employees
- If your grant request is for seed money, please include a one page business plan that must include the following:
- One line description of your organization
- Financial model that will include current operating funds, projected revenue, and expenses
- Action plan for success. Milestones you must meet in year one. At what point will be you be financially sustainable?
- Why are you uniquely qualified to succeed?
- Organization structure and management team
- Plan for sustainability
Application Instructions for a Community Health Initiative Grant
When submitting your Community Health Initiative Grant application, please follow theseinstructions and review the list below carefully.
- Submit applications by the deadline of 4:30pm on June 14th. Please send applications to Jeanne Miller via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Read the Grant Guidelines and sign the Acknowledgement Form, which confirms your understanding that receipt of this application does not imply eligibility or approval
- Keep a copy of your submission for your files. If mailing applications, please do not use staples, binders or folders for the originals
- Do not include videos, promotional materials or any additional information other than what is requested on this form
- An interview will be conducted by a representative of Healthy Nantucket 2020 and at that time the video or other materials can be presented
All applications should include the following:
- Completed 2019 Grant Application and Cover
- Names and addresses of your current Board of Trustees.
- Copy of the letter from the IRS granting 501(c) (3) tax status and any subsequent IRS letters relating to your organization’s status
- Copy of your most recent Form 990N, 990EZ, or 990 and complete financial statements in accordance with Commonwealth of Massachusetts requirements
- If applying with a fiscal sponsor, please include a copy of a letter signed by the head of the organization acting as fiscal sponsor accepting responsibility for any funds received. Also include a copy of the minutes from the fiscal sponsor’s Board meeting where the relationship was approved
- Applications from for-profit businesses or organizations that meet all the eligibility criteria may be considered but must also be pre-authorized by the Department of Public Health to be considered to receive funding. Working with the applicant, NCH and CFN would request authorization from the DPH
If at any time you have difficulty with this application, please contact Jeanne Miller, Program Director at the Community Foundation for Nantucket at 508-825-9993.